The Set-up: 3 balls, 4 lines, full team (12 plus players). The box should be approximately 20×20 yards.
Note: There will be a lot of movement in this exercise, but it is fairly straight forward once the players get the rhythm sorted out. The upper line should use two touches (receive & pass). The return pass to the lower line can performed one touch.
The ball at the top will always travel back and forth with the line directly across.
The balls in the bottom two lines will always go to the middle and be returned directly to their own line.
- Player A passes the ball across to Player B.
- Player A now runs diagonally across to Player C.
- Player C passes the ball into Player A.
- Player C now runs straight up the field to join the top line.
- Player A passes the ball directly back to the next person in line (C has already moved to join the upper line).
- A follows his pass and joins the line.
- Player B passes the ball back to the line directly across from him.
- B now makes a diagonal run.
Note: These movements are happening simultaneously.
- Player D passes the ball to player B.
- Player D runs to the upper line.
- The player at the top (player A’s initial line) passes the ball directly across.
Player B passes the ball directly back to the next player in line (player D has already moved up to join the upper line).
The player from the first line makes a diagonal run looking for the ball from the lower line. This is the same as the 1st movement.
The exercise continues!
- Passing and receiving (upper lines)
- Movement off the ball (every time you pass)
- One touch passing (return pass to lower line)
- Communication! Player making the diagonal run should always call for the ball.
This is a great exercise once the players understand the movements. Be patient, it’ll be worth it!
[ print/download this exercise ]