The starter course for referees is the “Referee Grade 8 Entry Level Course”. You must be at least 14 years old, and complete online and in-classroom training.
Details on how to become a referee:
- Set up an account with www.massref.net and register to take the Referee Grade 8 Entry Level Course (choose any time or place that is convenient before the start of the next season). Certification typically is for the calendar year. However, classes offered in the summer allow you to be a referee in the fall and all of the following year.
- To successfully complete the Referee Grade 8 Entry Level Course the candidate must be at least 14 years of age, complete an online course, attend eight hours of classroom instruction, and pass a 50 question written test.
- After successfully becoming certified as a Referee Grade 8, go to the BAYS website (bays.org) and complete the “Referee Registration”. This gives you an account on BAYS to log in. Request to become a referee for Lexington and read the referee procedure handbook letting you know how the system works for accepting/rejecting and reporting games on BAYS.
- Send email to the LUSC In-town and BAYS/travel referee coordinator, Genci Kutrolli, firstname.lastname@example.org and introduce yourself, give your email contact and let him know that you passed the Grade 8 Entry level class, registered with BAYS and would like to be a referee for LUSC.
- Buy a referee uniform kit (black referee jersey) at Tricon Sports store on Waltham Street.
- Referees need to take a re-certification course each year usually offered starting in July. Sign-up at www.massref.net.
- At the beginning of each season, the LUSC referee coordinator will schedule a mandatory meeting for all certified referees. New referees will be assigned an account on www.usofficials.com to manage their referee assignments with LUSC.
- During the season, in-town games are accepted and reported on the US OFFICIALS website. On the other hand, BAYS travel games are accepted on BOTH US OFFICIALS and BAYS websites, and are reported on the BAYS website.
- Referees are paid by LUSC and/or BAYS depending on the exact nature of their game assignments during the season. In-town referees are paid $20.00 per game by LUSC. For BAYS travel games, the rates are given on https://bays.org/pay_procedures. BAYS travel games are paid by BAYS, with the following two exceptions: U14 AR’s are paid by LUSC in the fall, and U12 AR’s are paid ($15 per game) by LUSC in both the fall and spring seasons.
- US Officials website
- Massachusetts State Referee Committee
- Massachusetts Youth Soccer
- BAYS Referee Section
- 30/30 Lightning Rule
- 6v6 In-town Rule Changes
Genci Kutrolli, email@example.com, 781-316-4031