The Game: as pictured. Off-sides is in play. Coach should position himself in a manner that he/she can enforce the rule.
- When Coach yells Go! 2 red players attack 1 white defender.
- When Coach yells Go! for a 2nd time two recovering players sprint back to try to make the situation a 2 v3.
- The attackers should try to move forward quickly. Be creative, overlap! All attacks should end with a shot.
- Central Defender should try to delay the attackers and stay in the diagonal passing lane.
- The Goalkeeper should try to control the space between himself and his central defender. Can he take away the through ball? Always be adjusting your positioning.
- Recovering defenders should run hard back on a diagonal toward the penalty spot/near post.
Rotation: Once the attack is over. A new central defender should step out and exercise begins on coaches’ command.
Note: You may want to begin this exercise without recovering players. Straight 2v1. This will force communication between the goalie and central defender. When you add the recovering players it will force the attackers to have a greater urgency to get forward quickly.
[ print/download this exercise ]